the holidays & food go together, like my thighs - introduction

Thursday, November 26, 2015


Carbs, dairy, and protein are my undoing...along with those cookies, that are on-the-verge of being tempting. But considering cookies automatically triggers words like 'sugar' and 'delicious' simultaneously. Sugar can cause health problems such as diabetes, so we know to keep our hands out of the cookie jar. But whose been told to stay away from protein? Even vegans need theirs.

And that's where my PP begins (personal problem). I'm currently unhealthy and over weight.

I've been all sizes, though. My story goes like this...I'm usually 160-165 lbs. (which is my current weight). This is when I'm not trying to exercise or eat right.

In 2010, I got fed up and made the decision to lose weight. I ate salads almost everyday and skipped most dinners. I also worked out a bit. At this time, I weighed 135 lbs. (shown) and was normal weight.

After that, I gained tremendous weight. My highest was 180 lbs. (shown). My lifestyle was a ton of eating out at restaurants and very little exercise.

I'm currently 165 lbs.
My goal is to stay around 135 lbs.
My purpose is to create healthy eating habits that will last. 

I want to change the way I eat, and it won't be easy. Struggles of mine include overeating, large portion sizes, too much of the wrong foods, and too little of the right ones. I'm not as concerned about exercise on this weight loss journey. If this sounds like you, you're the exact reason why I'm blogging all of this. I will be posting throughout the holidays, and I'd like for you to follow along.

If you are subscribed to the blog, I shared my first helpful task in the newsletter, for you and me.

I followed through with the task and documented my normal eating, with no changes to my diet. You can see all of it below.

Create your list in Excel, edit it in Paint...and vuala, it's simple!

It's obvious that my food group proportions are way off. Fruits and vegetables, which should be the majority of what we consume, are barely recognizable on my list. I do end up craving vegetables after a few days because my body is totally without nutrients.

Most of what I eat comes from my house, but I don't buy our household groceries. I don't have the money, and some of you may say this about buying healthy foods: it's just not in the budget. I'm not using this as an excuse to hold me back anymore.

Another reason why I eat the way that I do is because my work doesn't allow for me to eat, unless I seriously prepare ahead. By the time I come home, I'm super hungry. This causes me to eat more food because everything looks so good! I think I could eat it all, so I try. This excuse will be thrown into the fire as well.

Now let's analyze your list by asking some important questions...

This is the second task, which I've personally answered already (above). These questions will compliment your food list. Please don't do this without making a list because your answers may not be as realistic.

1. What food groups are you lacking in?

2. What food groups do you get way too much of? How about slightly more?

3. What are some reasons why you eat this way?

4. Are you willing to get free from those excuses?

This is our foundation. And today, on this Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for my body. I look forward to respecting this gift properly, for the first time. Good stewardship is what I'm after, and I hope we can strive for this together.

Next week I'll be back with some new ideas! Subscribe to the newsletter to receive some tips beforehand, and extra encouragement along the way. If you haven't made a list, this week gives you a chance to. Otherwise, keep adding to the existing list: this time implement healthy foods.

Try to stay conscious of what you're eating now! 


Happy Thanksgiving

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like me on Facebook

Follow me on Instagram