Being a Lukewarm Christian: Excuses

Monday, January 12, 2015

Trying to make excuses for what God commands? This post is for you.

When we take a look at our Christian lives, they sometimes don't match up with what the Bible actually says. I've encountered countless Christians who hold different doctrines according to their denomination and even their preferences. One example of this would be thoughts on LGBTQIA+, even though God is clear in His word. There's definitely a separation between the modern Christian lifestyle and what God commands to His people.

I've been told that new Christians are crazy because they take what the Bible says seriously. As a new Christian, I completely agree, but I don't see it as a bad way of viewing God's word. I'd rather be that than be a long-term Christian who is too comfortable in their walk with the Lord. When we come to this place, it is no longer safe territory: this is called Lukewarm Christianity.

When you're new to the faith, you ask long-time believers a lot of questions. Some answers that I've gotten I've tried to live out, taking others 'wisdom' and 'experience' in their spiritual walk as the right way. I tried to be okay with doing these things, but the Holy Spirit convicted me very fast. I knew better than to follow another imperfect human's lifestyle. We can't get so distracted in church life and the people, that we forget to focus on the Lord and His word.

If they are not being led by God, then they should not be followed.


Below are statements that Christians have shared in conversation that utterly shocked me.

"I think you're on fire for Jesus, and I never want you to lose that about you. Unfortunately, I lost that drive in me over the years and I don't want that to happen to you."
^ Please pray for my friend to come back to know Jesus like he used to.
Oct. 2015 Edited: The Lord truly is working on his heart, and he is slowly coming back to know the Lord again!

"I've been going to this church for too long that I'm used to the atmosphere. It doesn't phase me anymore."
This broke my heart. You can never get used to the Creator of Heaven and Earth's presence.

"You can't be unequally yoked in the church, that's only for the pairing of an unbeliever and believer."
Two believers can have different callings, beliefs, and intentions in life and therefore be unequally yoked.

"I'm already a Christian, I grew up one, and I do love God." 
To know Christ is to have a personal encounter with Him, not just grow up with your mother's faith.

Without others believing in Jesus, I wouldn't of come to know Jesus. But how are some content with believing in God, but not being led by Him? Why are we 'okay' with twisting God's word to fit our flesh desires? If we truly look at the Word, this way of thinking is worse than not knowing Jesus to begin with.

"I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth" (Revelation 3:15-16)

Every time I try to make up excuses for Lukewarm Christianity, God rebukes me.


My excuse: "I'm being too critical, I shouldn't judge my Christian friends."
God's response: "For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?" (1 Corinthians 5:12)

My excuse: "Well the Bible doesn't specify on that topic, so there must not be a clear answer."
God's response: "But whoever has doubts is condemned if he eats, because the eating is not from faith. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin" (Romans 14:23)

Wisdom: To gain understanding.
Knowledge: Being aware of information. 

Some Christians acknowledge the truth, but don't let it penetrate their hearts. Wisdom is being aware of Lukewarm Christianity and preventing it through necessary changes. This requires being intentional instead of mindless. Let's be careful of what we are feeding our flesh, because that is sin. We need to be feeding our Spirit instead. Mindless acts are Satan's way to slip into our lives: watching certain TV shows and following half naked women on Instagram while both plant bad seeds in our heart. Or constantly checking his social media pages while you send him half naked selfies via text.

We love those TV shows, huh? We make sure we're ready to watch the football game, but yet forget to make time to pray or read our Bible. Satan knows that if we can keep our flesh happy, then it will rule our behavior. We keep feeding the flesh, so we're slaves to it's desires. Ultimately, we become slaves to Satan. We can be labeling ourselves as Christians and worship the devil unknowingly.

Actions that require no energy feed our flesh because we're sinful in nature, this is why we need to be intentional with our time. 


If we think about these simple acts with eternity in mind, it no longer becomes a "it's only one football game" excuse. It amazes me how many movie scenes we can recite in our head and how many celebrities we know that got divorced this year. There's no in between with God. We can't focus on the world and live for Him. We need to be transformed by the world, not conformed to the world!

It's time to make the choice: who will you serve? Make haste. Be on fire for the Lord. The world will deceive us every time. Be intentional.

Something that feels good in the natural will ruin us in the Spirit.

What has kept you on fire for God that would help a lukewarm Christian? Share any testimonies in the comments below!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like me on Facebook

Follow me on Instagram