Social Work is Not for Me

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Wondering why social work just won't work as my career? This post is for you. 

I don't see myself as a social worker.

It's not that I don't have the skills or knowledge. I do. But for me to let the world decide where my future takes me is not what I had planned for my life. I refuse, in general, to be sucked into a "career." I want to work for the Lord.

And since you now think I'm crazy, I'll explain my insanity reasonably. I'm not lazy, I'm picky with my time. I do not want to work 8 hour days not being able to preach the gospel. In social work, there are real people with real problems. Their solution? The very name many places won't let you proclaim.

But of course, I'm not that crazy. I am not oblivious to bills and loans. So, yes, I will work for the world. I might have, at some point, what people would think of as a "career." But for me, it won't be. It'll be a place where I can get money to do the will of God and hopefully, a place where I enjoy and spread the gospel!

I've never had a love for money. It goes faster than it comes. It's unstable. It's not a reliable source. People truly do worship money, but I'm here to tell you that there's so much more to life.

Money is great, but it ain't all that it's cracked up to be. 


If I could volunteer for my entire life, I would. I belong in Africa, singing praises and dancing on dusty roads. This is who I was called to be. I was called to pray for and heal those in foreign countries. I'm not called to gossip in the office over coffee every morning. I want to see real, life-giving change into the darkest of souls from our Creator Himself.

I want to show others, who don't know about Jesus, what a soul-filled life looks like. 


I chose social work as my direction in college for a reason. Much of it has to do with my upbringing. Yet, through it all, I can only stand and be grateful that God thought of me so long ago. Before I even knew who He was and what I was called to be. He set up every chapter of my life perfectly aligned to my destiny. I know choosing social work was not a mistake, and I'm happy its in my life. I can't wait to continue on and see all of His work come to life.

His path for my life is beyond what I could have dreamed of with the deepest desires of my heart.

Where have you seen your deepest desires and God's plan align in your life? Share any testimonies in the comments below!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like me on Facebook

Follow me on Instagram